When Audi debuted the latest iteration of its 5-cylinder turbo-charged all-wheel drive drivetrain, enthusiasts rejoiced! For many audi enthusiasts our love for the brand was sparked by the iconic Audi S1 quattro of the infamous group B rally era. One of it’s most defining characteristics was its 5-cylinder turbo engine that sounded unlike any other performance vehicle produced and quattro all-wheel drive to put the power down.
However, Audi’s latest 5-cylinder engine, the 07K DAZA EVO has even more performance potential than before. Being Audi enthusiasts ourselves it was only natural for us to gravitate to the platform and see what it could do first hand.
That is how we ended up with our 800WHP Nardo Grey RS3 shop build that we let David Patterson, AKA Thatdudeinblue, review.
From our Nardo Grey RS3 we were able to develop a build process that we can offer to our clients to have their very own 700HP+ RS3/TTRS with no sacrifice of driveability or reliability.
On this addition of Eurofed builds we showcase the first stage of the process of having your Audi TTRS/RS3 built for high horsepower by us. Here we will go over the recommended parts we utilize and why you would need them for a 700HP+ big turbo 07k build.
Stage 1: Multi-point vehicle inspection
Before a single modification is made the RS3/TTRS is inspected by our dealer-trained audi technicians. This is done to make sure the vehicle is up to date on its scheduled maintenance and able to withstand double the horsepower. For us a vehicle is only as good as it has been maintained.
Click here to learn more about factory scheduled maintenance
Stage 2: Performance Parts List Assessment
After the vehicle has been inspected, service and deemed ready for the build process our team of service advisors will discuss your choice of modifications and aftermarket performance parts that will get you to the desired power level
These are the recommended parts that we suggest utilizing for a high horsepower build. This parts list of from the RS3 build video above. There are other choices of parts from different manufacturers; however we recommend speaking with a Eurofed service advisor to confirm product quality.
- The factory DQ500 gearbox is designed to handle torque output but only to a certain point. When going for the higher power levels the transmission needs to be able to handle the power as easily as the engine is at producing it. This does include being able to withstand the utter violence that is launching a big turbo Audi RS3.
- The upgraded DEKA clutches are designed to handle 1000+ horsepower, even from a launch.
- While the RS3 is advertised with having “quattro all wheel drive” in reality its all-wheel drive system is based on the haldex system used on similar AWD MQB platform cars like the Volkswagen Golf R, Alltrack, AWD A3 and TT/TTS. The Haldex all-wheel drive is a front-drive biased system, meaning a larger percentage of the engine power is delivered to the front wheels than the rear wheels.
- What the IROZ haldex controller allows the driver to do is change the torque split between the front and rear wheels. If more power is needed to the rear wheels the driver is able to set it to the exact amount with a scroll-knob discretely installed on the dash.
- Higher horsepower vehicles demand more robust engine mounts and bushings to handle extreme increases in power. The factory Audi TTRS/RS3 engine mounts are designed with a certain amount of durability at the stock horsepower. With more robust engine mounts the vibrations from the engine are kept to a minimum and minimize torque loss.
034MOTORSPORT BILLET SPHERICAL DOGBONE MOUNT
- You can never have a shortage of data when operating an extensively modified big turbo Audi RS3/TTRS. Figures such as Air/fuel mix ratios, Ethanol content, exact boost pressure. With access to that data there is less guess work when it comes to troubleshooting potential issues down the road.
Upgraded Fuel pump
- With all the added boosted air being pumped into the cylinder from the new big turbo you need the fuel system to match it and provide a sufficient supply of fuel. Given that challenge, we recommend utilizing a flex fuel set-up for ethanol based fuels, every point of the fuel system needs to be upgraded, including the fuel pump.
1000cc Fuel injectors
- With the added fuel pressure from the upgraded fuel pump you need the right sized fuel injectors to handle it.
- Fun fact about the RS3/TTRS fuel system is that it utilizes two fuel injectors per cylinder, a secondary and a primary. Most factory vehicles only come with one per cylinder. This is one of the secrets why the 2.5T DAZA 07K EVO engine is capable of producing 550 wheel horsepower with just a few bolt-on modifications because of its ability to supply an ample amount of fuel from the factory. However even an overbuilt fuel system such as this has its limits and need to be upgraded if you are in the pursuit of horsepower past stage 2 modifications.
Engine Catch Can
- When you considerably increase the amount of turbocharger boost being introduced into the engine, in turn it increases engine crankcase pressure. If not regulated the increased crankcase pressure can cause damage to internal engine components. This increase in pressure is known as “blow by”. An engine catch can is designed to regulate the pressure of the engine and catch the blow by.
Transmission Catch Can
- Such as with the engine catch can, the higher demands on the transmission from the increased power introduces more pressure. The transmission catch can is designed to relieve that pressure.
- Running more boost means better airflow management is also necessary to minimize inconsistent boost delivery. The CTS turbo Intercooler piping allows for better airflow management to and from the intercooler and into the intake manifold.
Forge motorsports Intercooler Couplings
Iroz Motorsports Billet Front Mount Intercooler
- To top off air flow management an upgraded intercooler is critical. The stock factory placement Audi RS3 intercooler can only handle so much airflow. Once the boost pressure is beyond a certain point the factory intercooler becomes a choking point in the system and will drastically reduce boost pressure. With an upgraded front mount intercooler, such as the Iroz unit, it can allow for more consistent air flow and drastically reduced air intake temperature.
- In order to make room for the front mounted intercooler the factory front impact bar is replaced with a unit such as the Race3 Crash bar. This creates the room necessary for an upgraded intercooler and will still keep the driver safe in the event of a collision.
Integrated Engineering Forged Rods & Piston
- When approaching supercar levels of performance the internals of the engine must be strengthened to handle extra boost and limit the chance of internal failure.
Stage 3: Drivetrain removal & disassembly
When the vehicle as been deemed ready for building and the parts list is compiled and ordered the disassembly of the drivetrain begins. However before everything is re-installed with the performance aftermarket upgrades stated above, the engine must be blue-printed and properly reinstalled
Stay tuned for Part 2 of the big turbo Audi RS3 build pr where we go over the blueprinting and building of the engine!
Where Can I Have Performance Modifications Installed On My Audi At a Shop Near Me?
At Eurofed Automotive we offer performance solutions for Audi’s with a variety of options from the top performance vendors in the industry from our multiple locations across the American Southeast.
Contact your local Eurofed to learn more about our industry leading performance solutions.